Friday, June 22, 2012

Poseidon's Noble Creation

 The HORSE!

First off, I have been away from this blog for far too long! So many things had me swimming around like a mad-mer! Some may know that I am a high school teacher and that plus taking sign language classes, surfing, swimming and volunteering had just kept me away. Now that summer is here I will be more devoted to the weekly sea critter posts.

Second, I know that the horse really isn't a sea critter, but many people don't realize that the horse is a creation of the sea god Poseidon (Greek)/Neptune (Roman). But why would a sea god create a land animal?
One story is that Poseidon created the first horse because he had desired the goddess Demeter (Greek goddess of the harvest; a land goddess). Demeter wasn't too keen on this crush and in order to put him off, she asked him to make the most beautiful animal the world had ever seen. Thus, after a couple of tries, he created the horse!

It is also believed that the horse represented the breaking crest in a wave. Horses, or  the Hippokampoi (fish-tailed horses) are often seen pulling Poseidon's chariot in art.


I have loved horses ever since I was a little girl. How could I not? They have been breed to help humans from day to day activities before the invention of machines. They have won wars, and also delivered peace. They have carried royalty on their backs. They are playful, sometimes stubborn, but if given the right love, they will love you back, and give you a special kind of trust, an earned one.

Sadly, not everyone feels the same way about horses as I do. Too often these animals are the subjects of abuse and neglect. People find themselves overwhelmed with the amount of care, time and money a horse takes and will just abandon their animal to die a slow death. Or, if a horse can no longer preform a desired function they will be auctioned off for slaughter, even though they have years of love and companionship to give.

Luckily for some of these horses, they are found and rescued by places like The Red Bucket Equine Rescue.
RBER takes in abused, neglected and slaughter bound horses, rehabilitates them and then adopts them out. They are an organization based on donations and volunteers. In August, I will be going to their volunteer orientation to work closer to the animal that I love. I am also hoping to adopt one of their horses. Please take a look at one of my prospects before and after pictures.
*Pictures are by the RBER - not taken by me*

Willow Before: 

Willow After: 

Isn't that amazing?!?! Go on, take a second look, I'll wait a minute!

With that I am asking for YOUR help! After all the years of wanting a horse, I am in a place in my life where I have the time, money and energy for a horse. I am just $500 short of adopting one of my prospects from RBER and would like your help. I am running a "fundrazer" (link below) and I also have an Etsy shop (site below). Any and all money from these two sites go directly toward my horse fund. If you don't wish to help me, you can still help the RBER by visiting their site:   www.redbucketrescue.org and give a donation through Paypal. In advance, I want to thank you!

Fundrazer:  https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/bJk8a?psid=1267c609433844c890842cf51303b790

Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/HBMermaidAngela  (please keep in mind I take custom orders, if you have any questions email me at: HBMermaidAngela@gmail.com)

1 comment: